Fuse and cable for a cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Am new to electrics and have a couple of quick questions.

I have a new electric cooker rated to a max of 10.8kw and a cooker isolation switch with an integral socket.

What fuse do i need in the fuse box (Is the 30A fuse that is already there enough?)

And, what cable size and type should I use to connect between the cooker and the connection plate (6 mm or 10 mm and i assume it is two core and earth type)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
10.8kW divided by Voltage = 46.95Amps

You will need a 50Amp fuse and 10mm cable from fuse box to Cooker control point.

Never connect a larger cable to a smaller feed cable.

ive just spurred off a dbl socket with 2.5 t/e to a 3 amp fused spur then a piece of 1.5 from there to gas fire for ignitor so are you saying dont do that cus im going from larger cable to smaller :?: cheers P M

2.5 spurs off rings are perfecly ok, and the 1.5 is ok because its fused down first

Sponsored Links
Poshman
I said don't connect larger cables to smaller feed cables.
i.e. 4mm to a 2.5mm radial

Qedelec said:

You will need a 50Amp fuse and 10mm cable from fuse box to Cooker control point.

Diversity?

Still gonna need a bigger fuse than 32Amp and I would upgrade the cable too.

slippyr4 said:
Qedelec said:

Diversity?

Now I'm confused, will diversity affect my requirements much?

Diversity 10 Amp +30% of full load
10 + 15 = 25Amp

Brain switched to shower mode.

So based on diversity (and your above calculation) a 30A fuse will be ok for the 10.8kW cooker. (Want to get this right - don't want to blow the fuse as soon as i turn the cooker on). :D :eek: :D

oops, the diversity calc was wrong. Need to allow 5A for the socket. So you need the next size MCB up from that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back