fitting cooker point

thank you very much for your reply.
A good constructive idea.
As you say I could run the cable from the CU up the wall, under the floor boards "drill to the right depth lol" and down into the kitchen.

Should I put the back box in for the cooker switch and leave the cable hanging?

And of course, what size of cable should i lay?

thank you.

Sponsored Links
9000w / 230v = 39.1A

Cooker cables are rarely rated to take their full load. Diversity is applied which is:

10A + 30% of remaining + 5A if a switch with a socket it used.

10A + 8.73A + 5A = 23.73A

6mm will be fine, but if you are going through the hassle I would put in 10mm incase he decides to upgrade at a later date.

Davy

P.S My point still stands about this work being notifiable. If you are sure you want to do it yourself you will still need to notify building control who will inspect it when you are done. It is a legal requirement.

Davy

thank you for the reply, sorry if i appeared to have a bad attitude.
I have already told my son i will not fit the cooker point, but are you saying i could do the full job and get it checked or just lay the cable "10mm for future compatability" and get someone else to finnish the job?
Who do you notify to pass the work, and out of interest what sort of price do they charge.

BTW if 10 mm cable is used I assume the size of fuse still depends on total power output.
thank you.

You can do either. But if you do the work yourself you have to inform your local authority (building control) that you are going to do notifiable work. They will charge you a fee (no idea how much - sorry) and you can do the work and then they inspect it and sign the work off.

You could also lay the cable and get an electrician in to connect it to the consumer unit, cooker switch and cooker. If you do this check with the electrician first. An electrician can't sign off work unless he knows its all done correctly and lots prefer to do the work themselves. You could lift floorboards and carpet ready though, this will save time.

The fuse used in the consumer unit should be rated for that oven. The 10mm cable just means if the cooker is upgraded you have the capacity to upgrade the fuse.

Davy

Sponsored Links
One last question,
If an NIC electrician does the work can he"Part P" it himself.
thank you

contacted 3 eletricians.

first one said that a rewirable fuse and consumer unit was not suitable and that current regs demand that all cookers be on an RCD.
"How many cookers wont be on an RCD?"
he also said he probably would not want the work.

Second electrician said that he could part P the work but chooses not to??? said he got somebody else to part P his work at an extra cost of £50. I asked if he would put 10 mm cable in and he said no, 6mm would be fine seeing it would only be protected by a 30 amp fuse???
NOT once did he ask what power output the cooker was.

I asked the third one who gave me a good price, said he would part p the work himself, "i forgot to ask what size cable he would lay"

All of these electricians are NIC registered

which one should i choose

No.1 has given you incorrect advise, cooker don't need to be fed via an RCD but I can see where he's coming from re the rewirable fuses.

No.2 sounds a bit dodgy to me :LOL: After testing the on-line PP submission costs around £1.50

No.3 sounds OK but I suspect you preferred him anyway

Well don't consider the first one. A rewirable fuse can accommodate 30A fuse wire so I don't know what he was talking about. Cookers generally aren't RCD protected because there is usually some earth leakage from the elements and this can cause nuisance tripping. He obviously just didn't want the job.

Assuming none of the factors I previously mentioned are applicable in your installation, 6mm cable will do fine. But for future proofing purposes you could insist he puts in 10mm (it will cost more though - if the hassle of ripping up the floorboards a second time when it needs upgrading doesn't matter then just go with 6mm)

I can't tell you which one to chose, ask your friends/family if they can recommend anyone. If they can not then discounting the first guy just chose the most reasonably priced.

Davy

The last one, but double check what size cable he intends to use. If you request a 10mm² for future proofing, then there is no reason for an electrician to refuse.

lol, shows what i know, i thought the first one sounded like he new his stuff.
Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back