cooker 6mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
9.0 KW cooker
20 meter run
10 mm cable
40 Amp breaker

Is it possible to attach 6mm cable from the cooker outlet point to the cooker even though the rest of the run is 10mm ?
the reason I want to run 6mm is because there is not much room at the back of the cooker and was thinking pulling and shoving the cooker in and out may stress the cable but with 6mm being more flexible that would be better.

It was also suggested that I could use 4mm butyl ???.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Although 6mm² is ok protected by a 40A mcb it is not a good idea, in my opinion, to have a smaller cable elsewhere on the circuit when the cable leaving the CU is larger and may have a bigger protective device fitted at some stage (even though it would be noted that the 6mm² was connected if the cooker was changed)
Don't know what anyone elses opinion is?

You must use a cable size that exceeds the rating of the CPD. It make sense to use the same size cable throughout the circuit.

Sponsored Links
I'm of the opinion that the cable run should be verified at both ends before any CPD is upgraded so using 6mm² on a 40A MCB is fine.

Possibly put a note by the CU stating a short length of 6mm² cable was used on circuit number xx?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back