kitchen cooker and hob HELP PLEASE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, i have decided to replace my old gas cooker with electric cooker and hob, my quirey is this,
the new cooker is 2.500 kw max load and the hob is 6,0kw there is one single 6mm cable that runs from a 32mcb to a 45amp double pole switch then the 6mm carries on to a cooker control unit,
the cooker instructions say to hardwire it to a 13amp socket outlet .
is it possible to wire both i.e cooker and hob to the control unit using both 2.5m cable for the cooker and 6mm cable for the hob and do i have to notify under the new regs of fitting the cooker,
also would the 6mm cable be ok or would i need to replace it with 10mm. any help or advice would be fantastic...

Sponsored Links
Using diversity, you can fit these appliances to the existing circuit. However, you must use the same sized cable throughout, unless you fuse it down.

Assuming the cable run is not excessive for the load:

Use an MK 1133 BRO to join the 6mm² cable from the iso switch to the two 6mm² feeds to the hob & oven, then put a socket on the end of the oven feed. Has the oven a ready-fitte lead?

Make sure also that both of the appliances are within 2m of the switch, which should be easy to access in an emergency.

Finally, this is notifiable.

Re-read part of your post:

The cooker control unit & the DP switch? Where are they in relation to the appliances?

Ideally, you need the apliances within 2m of the DP switch. Ditch the CCU.

thanks securespark
i was not sure on the 30amp junction box as the cooker instructions state hardwireing using 2.5mm cable and the hob 6mm the hob info states its a 30amp = 6,0kw. the oven comes with out the lead. would i need to beef up the mcb to 40 thanks

hi the cooker control unit & the DP switch are within 2meters of the hob and oven the 6mm cable runs down a studded wall to the dp switch then carries on 12" to the cooker control unit. this is were im gonna wire the hob to not sure onthe cooker tho as i need to fuse it down to 13amp thanks ray

Sponsored Links
If you want to use the existing cable, ditch the CCU.

Take a switched feed from the DP switch to the JB, making sure it is accessible (behind the plinth for eg).

Then run two feeds as suggested. The oven will plug in to the socket you fit, the hob you hard-wire directly to the 6mm² you have taken from the JB. Make sure also you can access the plug top if the need arises (to change the fuse).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back