COOKER AND HOB WIRING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im just after a bit of advice please,im just about to rip out and fit a new kitchen,i`ve bought a new electric double oven and electric hob,i have a cooker socket with a 10mm cable,the instulation book for the cooker says to use a 2.5mm cable and the hob is 6mm cable.What i want to do is fit the cooker next to the cooker socket and the hob on a sort of island unit in the middle of the room so what i want to know is would it be safe to run a 6mm cable behind the back of the kichen units to the hob? ,it would probably need about 4 metres of cable to do this although the hob would still only be about 2 metres from the cooker socket , any advice anyone cheers.

Sponsored Links
A cooking appliance must be no more than 2m from its isolation switch.

How would you joint the 10mm²?

I have a cooker isolation switch on the wall then under that i have the junction box where my old cooker is connected to at the moment so im thinking the easy way would be to connect both the cooker and the hob to that junction box but then run the 6mm cable posibly armcore cable around the back of the new kitchen units out of site to the hob on the island ,is that ok ? or would i have to run a new cable from the main house junction box to a new isolation switch near to the hob ,trouble is its quite a new house with those stupid slot together floor boards and fitted carpets so i dont really want to spend xmas ripping up that lot as well as the kitchen ,is there a easy way of doing this, cheers

Is it the oven and hob cant be more than 2 metres away from the switch or is it the cable cant be more than 2 metres long?

Sponsored Links
So as long as the hob is not more than 2 metres from the switch then thats ok ,it wont be a problem with the cable being longer than 2 metres will it :?: , my kitchen units are like a U shape with the switch and junction box at one end of the U and the hob at the other end of the U and the 6mm cable running around the U from junction box to hob ,is that ok to do that :?: thanks

You OK with that. The 2 metre thing is so that, in the event of a problem (fire, etc) the isolation switch is accessible and close enough so u can click her off..

ttc

Thanks for that ttc i understand now, im going to fit the kitchen myself and get a electrician in to do the wiring as i understand i cant do it myself but i thought i could route the cable for the hob myself and let him connect it for me to save some money ,but wanted some advice first because its easier to route the cable now with the old kitchen ripped out, so all i have to do is run a cable from my cooker junction box around to where the new hobs going to be is it and in the hob instuctions book it says to use 6mm cable ,does that sound right , cheers mate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back