Cooker size cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm replacing a ceramic hob with a new induction ceramic hob.
I'm not sure about the size of the cable capable of taking the power from the new hob.
At present I have a 6mm cable coming from the 45amp cooker switch that goes into a junction box (the round junction box is quite large but I can not see anywhere on it where it says what ampage it is).
The induction hob uses a total of 7000W split between the four rings. All it says in the installation manual is connect on a circuit breaker with a 30 amp minimum suppply.
I always thought that the cooker cable should be one continuous cable back to the cooker switch, the previous hob went into a junction box then a 6mm cable goes to the 45amp cooker switch, then it goes back to the consumer box where thier is a trip for the cooker.
Is 6mm cable the correct cable for 7000W hob?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thought you were kevin1234 in disguise for a minute... ;)

Is 6mm cable the correct cable for 7000W hob?
Yes. Assuming it doesn't have long runs through insulation, 6mm² will be fine for this load.

Out of interest, what size is the MCB/fuse protecting the cooker circuit? A 32A MCB will be ok for this circuit.

Compare the cooker to a shower, 6.00mm will run a 8.5kw shower so the cooker is ok provided the cable run dosn't go through insulation or is buried in the wall. You can downrate the mcb if you want also. Can you install a connection box? The reccognized way is to run from the connection box to the switch then to the CU, with the connection box replacing the JB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back