New Cooker - No cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have just moved into a house and there is no cooker.

Now i've had a look at the setup and looking at it there is 10mm going from the CU to the cooker switch and from there it 10mm into a cooker connection unit. The MCB is 40

Now the cooker we bought does not have any cable supplied with it, so what cable do we need, Should it be 10mm?

The manual states 4mm, but if wired with a hob must be 6mm with a 32mcb.

Also can the hob we wired into the same connection unit, even if it might be a little tight. The hob comes with its own cable.

Any help would be great

Oven is 4.0kw and hob is 7kw

Sponsored Links
The cable is protected by a 40 amp trip 6mm thermosetting flexible cable is rated 39A and 433.2.2 limits the length to 3 meters unless the protection device is put where the change in size is. but if your following rules than either you pay County Council £100 plus vat or you get a registered electrician to fit it. The latter will be cheapest so may as well let him select the cable.

Thanks.

I opened the cooker switch and the connection unit and measured the cable and both came as 10mm.

Sponsored Links
What did you measure. 10mm² is the cross sectional area of one of the live conductors.
So (unless you have a cable size gauge) you would need a micrometer and some maths to work it out.

If core colours are brown and blue I suppose it will be close but older cables are often thicker are that would not be reliable. However since 6mm with most likely be OK I suppose not a real problem.

The correct method would be to fit a MCB to match the cooker but asking any DIY person to do that is not really safe.

Thank god for Part P at least someone will check it in the end to see if safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back