wiring separate oven and hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new 10mm cable from consumer unit to cooker control box. The whole protected by a 40 amp MCB.

I wish to connect up an induction hob (8KW) and an oven (1KW).

I propose (since 10mm cable is difficult to manipulate) to connect my cooker control box to a second cooker control unit with socket under the worktop between oven and hob . Effectively using this 2nd control unit as a fused junction box.

The forward connections will be a 10mm cable to the hob and a 13amp plugged cable (as supplied with the oven).

Any problems with this configuration?

Sponsored Links
You have the theory right.

Firstly, if your main Cooker Control Unit has a socket, bin it. Go and buy one without a socket. A simple 45 amp switch. This will enable you to put it on the non-RCD side of the CU.

Now, bury a cable from the CCU to the cooker outlet below the worktop. In the cooker outlet, lead another cable off to a single unswitched socket, mounted next to it. For ease of wiring, you can use 6mm cable for this little run to the socket.

Far neater than your proposed solution, but the theory is the same.

The items in bold are the things you need to buy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back