Exploding wired fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if you could put my mind at rest.

I occasionally contribute to another forum dedicated to a particular make of car. One of the members of that forum mentioned that his halogen downlighters were blowing wired fuses when ever a bulb blew. Here is a link to that topic (moderator – hope this is OK)?
[url]http://www.citroenpicasso.org.uk/picasso/index.php?showtopic=9785[/url]

I once had a problem with fuses blowing as follows:

About 8 years ago, my wife and I relocated and lived for a while in rented accommodation. The heating in the flat was underfloor electric heating and would blow the fuse about every three months (apparently the heating was drawing slightly more current than the fuse rating). Anyhow, after the fuse had blown and been rewired a second time, we noticed a fishy smell that we simply could not locate. The fishy smell then stopped and this coincided with the loss of our heating. Thinking that the fuse had blown, I checked it only to find that the fuse carrier had exploded into about three pieces.

An electrician was called and he advised that what had probably happened was the fuse wire blowing had left carbon trails on the fuse holder. This had allowed the current to track through it – causing the holder to heat and emit a smell. Eventually, the holder heated up so much that it exploded.

I have a work colleague who reported similar to the above only with him it came to light (pardon the pun) when his consumer unit set on fire!

Back to putting my mind at rest. Is it ‘normal’ for fuses to overheat and even set on fire after fuse wire has been replaced a few times or am I just worrying my friend from the other forum unduly?

Many thanks in advance

G

Sponsored Links
Wired fuses can overheat due to slack/loose connections, obviously I'm duty bound to recommend an upgrade to a new consumer unit with trips etc, but there is no statutory reason to change a perfectly servicable old cu.
check all connections are tight and replace any holders that show signs of carbon from whatever source.
hope that helps

I suppose its possible, but IMHO the problem is more likely to be due to the overcurrent 'simmering' the fuse, but not actually blowing it, and this cooks the plastic until it cracks, undue heating in fuses can also be due to poor contacts with the holdler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back