Electric shower problems

It could be but I have never seen one where only 230V is stated.
You should have measured the resistance cold.
What were you trying to discover?

I wish all labels are as useful as the one you show, I find many state something like: 220-240V 8.5KW 35A.
Historically I have replaced many 13A sockets and FCU's due to overheating and found the measured current is higher than that shown on on the plate. I have measured up to 15A for a 3KW product running on a 13A fuse. Accordingly when I am involved with any commissioning [regularly as I work in controls] I automatically measure the operating current and make a note for future reference.

When dealing with larger circuits like showers which are prone to up-grading and the fuse or cable is suddenly working a bit above it's limit I find the issue of actual Vs. predicted current becomes a bigger problem than it should be. A classic being upgrading from 6 or 7KW to the above example on a 30A fuse/4mm² combo then finding the actual load is 38A.
I may be more sensitive to this than others as I used to be the first on the feed to a whole street, my supply was >250V and regularly 260V, my 8.5KW shower ran >40A and was ridiculously better than my parents from the same batch running nearer to 230V

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back