Shower fuse keeps blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a 8.5kw shower, 6mm cable and a 30A cartridge fuse. The fuse blows after approx tem minutes of shower use and gives off a very fishy smell at the fuse box. I have checked all the connections and they are OK.
I have been told I really need a 45A fuse to allow full power to heat the water. Is this correct or not. I have bought a 45A fuse but it is far too big for the fuse holder meaning it must always have been a 30A fuse. Any advice appreciated.

Paul

Sponsored Links
STOP!! call a sparky. you cant just go uprating fuses like that! :eek:

youll end up burnin ya house down

mooney3 said:
Hi,
I have a 8.5kw shower, 6mm cable and a 30A cartridge fuse. The fuse blows after approx tem minutes of shower use and gives off a very fishy smell at the fuse box. I have checked all the connections and they are OK.
I have been told I really need a 45A fuse to allow full power to heat the water. Is this correct or not. I have bought a 45A fuse but it is far too big for the fuse holder meaning it must always have been a 30A fuse. Any advice appreciated.

Paul

DO NOT USE THE SHOWER. Pull the fuse out to prevent it being used.

Get a QUALIFIED electrician.

The fishy smell is the result of the the fuse holder overheating and the material becoming brittle. ( the smell is a chemical evaporating from the plastic ). The fuse is glowing hot while you are showering. It is destroying the fuse holder and very likely damaging other equipment in the fuse box.

Yes the 8.5 kilowatt does need a 45 amp fuse. It also needs 45 amp cable from the fuse box to the shower.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

Should be 40A really.

However, as has been said, you can't just stick a higher device in and hope for the best. Will the consumer unit handle it? Will the cable? Will the DP switch? Will the tails, meter and main fuse?

Have you got up-to-date MEB's and supplementary in the bathroom?

Sponsored Links
bernardgreen said:
mooney3 said:
Hi,
Get a QUALIFIED electrician.

Yes the 8.5 kilowatt does need a 45 amp fuse. It also needs 45 amp cable from the fuse box to the shower.

Bernard
Sharnbrook

Watts = VxI or I = Watts/V I'd prefer a 40 amp myself.

The ampage of the cable also depends on the length / voltdrop

wunfer - wunferluck.

Sometimes when calcing cable sizes, it'll be near enough borderline, so I whack the next size up in instead.

RF Lighting said:
You sure a mod hasn't edited your post? ;)

Maybe - after all crap is a naughty word

Edit:If thay are editing they are ****ing fast typists!!

++++++++++++
No the magic smut editor does it
(sm ut editor)

Take a look at the Vasectomy posts for more examples.

Mod Rupert
+++++++++

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back