Shower Fuse Replacement?

It seems odd to have a isolator next to a fuse. About 5 years ago so 2010 so a RCD would be required some where but regulations and manufacturers instructions have required RCD protection for many years.

Also of course the loop impedance is important and before swapping that would need measuring.

With TT supplies sometimes there is a 100 mA RCD on the main incomer this is not good enough for shower protection needs to be 30 mA.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the help folks. ... It may be easier to fit a new CU for the shower - what sort of price are we talking and what do you recommend?
I'm not necessarily suggesting this make, but the first examples I have across are (click here) . From what I understand, either the one with a 40A RCBO or an RCD+50A MCB (either of which option would give you the 'RCD protection') would probably be suitable for you, subject to your electrician's agreement. Your electrician may well have his/her preferred make.

Kind Regards, John

The fuses are the same as cartridges fitted to Wylex, and although they were not in BS1361 the size has been available for years as standard.

It shares its footprint with the 35A and 45A fuse, not the 30A I'm afraid. These cartridges holders, whilst rare, were part of Eaton' s range at least until only a few years ago.

Having said that a RCBO will be required to give protection you need with modern regs. Take on board erics point though about needing testing and remember when the fuse was installed there was probably a lower fault current required to ensure compliance, so ensure its adequate with an RCBO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back