Shower power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 30A Wylex insulated switched fused isolator with a 30 A wired fuse and a 10mm cable connected to an existing shower.

I want to put in a 9.5Kw shower.

Can I remove the 30A Fuse and replace this with a 40A Wylex B Type Plug-in Mini Circuit Breaker.

Or do I need to replace the switched fuse isolator :confused: and have a 40A MCB/RCCD fitted. :?:

Sponsored Links
It depends on wether or not the Wylex board can accept a 40A fuse/breaker, the base which comes with the 40A has a keyway which will only fit next to the main switch and only (iirc) on 100A boards. If the manufacturers instructions require an RCD as well then one must be fitted, it is best practice to fit one anyway. Are you absolutely sure the cable is 10mm²? How is it installed, away from insulation etc? Is the shower (pullcord?) isolator rated at least 40A? Please also be aware this work is notifiable to LABC under part p of the building regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back