shower wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting in a new electric shower. The current wiring is 10mm (sq.) wiring back to a re-wirable fuse of 30A.
I am looking at replacing the current shower (8KW) with an 8.5 or 9 kW. Both shower installation guides (I haven't bought it yet - just checking on the internet) specify a cartridge fuse of rating 45A. Can I just replace my re-wirable fuse (30A) with a cartridge type (45A) and are there any other implications ? Help appreciated

Sponsored Links
You would be much better off installing a separate shower CU, as I'll bet your existing installation does not have an RCD.

You are aware, I take it, of your legal obligation to notify LABC about the shower replacement before you start?

You have to have a 45A MCB and an RCD is also recommended for shower circuits, as ban has pointed out.

OOI, how do you know the current MCB is 10mm²? I wouldn't think anyone would put a 10mm² cable on a 30A fuse, unless it is a very long run. Sure its not 6mm²? The difference is crucial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back