Fused wall switch overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We bought a house 7 years ago and the utility was wired for a washing machine and tumble drier. in recent weeks we noticed a smell in the utility (sort of fishy smell) and I performed cleaning maintenance on both machine. Smell didn't go away and I've now noticed that the part of the fused wall switch where the fuse goes is stained brown (heat marks) and feels warm when the tumble drier is running. I took out the fuse and the actually fuse was hot and the section behind the fuse was burnt away. It appears that the will switch unit is overheating - why would this be happening now, after 7 years? How can I remedy this situation, as I'm worried about risk of fire - just replace the wall switch? There is a 13Amp fuse in it.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure a qualified person will answer you quite soon. In the meantime:

the overheating is probably caused by a loose connection, and the heavy load of the appliance

it's not safe, so don't use it until you've repaired it (or had somebody do it for you)

you will need a replacement fused control unit as the one you have is now damaged

if the cable insulation is damaged through overheating this will need repair or replacement too

is this one appliance (washer/drier) or two? How many fused control units are there?

Thanks, xerxes :)

you will need a replacement fused control unit as the one you have is now damaged

OK.

if the cable insulation is damaged through overheating this will need repair or replacement too

I've just screwed the covers off and the wires aren't damaged at all

is this one appliance (washer/drier) or two? How many fused control units are there?

It appears that the wires from the tumble dryer and washing machine are both joined behind the units and then one wire runs to the same fused control unit. If I replace the fused wall unit, will this still be OK?

Tumble dryers can be quite high current possibly near the 13 amp max of the wall switch.
It will tell you in the manual

Over 7 years it sounds like the switch may have simply worn out due to this load and heated up round the fuse and switch contacts.

Some brands of switches appear to handle high loads better than others, although they should all carry 13 amps ok, sometimes they do fail

It also may be terminations were loose , but unless the switch has been disturbed or something recently, would usually show up sooner than 7 years

As xerxes says it may just need a new switch, but if its been burning for some time the heat may have travelled and damaged the wires.
This you will not know till someone competent isolates and removes the switch.
I also would not use it till its sorted

Sponsored Links
switches and sockets are rated for a 13Amp load and will overheat if overloaded.

If you are running both a washer and a drier through the sane wire and connector, they will overheat and be damaged.

The cable joint you mention sounds very poor and possibly unafe.

you would do better to fit a fused plug on each appliance and plug them in separately.

why not get the existing spur sorted properly,for one appliance only.

plug the other appliance in elsewhere

Thanks for all feedback and suggestions :)

There's actually a spare wall fuse control switch above the tumble dryer, not being used (I dunno why not!) and so I'll split the two and wire the dryer directly into it. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back