Socket smells when in use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

In our utility room we have a 3 gang way plug socket on the wall behind our tumble dryer and washing machine and if we use them both at the same time the plug socket where the fuse section is gets very hot and starts to smell....a bit like fish. The smell is very strong.

However if we use one at a time there is no issue.

Asides from just using one at a time how can this be resolved?

This has only recently started and previously we had a freezer in there too and had the freezer plugged in as well as the washing machine and tumble drier so all 3 were in use at one point.

Its obviously designed for multiple use as it is in a utility room. These arent normal gang way sockets with rocker on/off switches.

Sorry if this should be in the electrics section.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Fish smell is caused when poor quality urea-formalydehyde plastic gets warm. There's nothing you can do other than buy a new socket and hope it was made with better quality urea, or none at all. Newer products are less likely to use it, so you'll probably be fine. I used to have a lamp socket that did the same thing.

Your post isn't very clear. Are you saying you have a 3 gang extension cable (plugged into a single or twin socket) or a 3 gang socket?

Regardless, that smell is the smell of something getting very hot. If it is an extension cable then you are overloading it by using washing machine and tumble dryer at the same time- each can draw 2-2.5kw at times (8-10 amps) so 20A through a single 13A fuse (probably on 1.5mm flex) is a major overload and a significant fire risk. so STOP DOING IT, throw the extension away and buy a new one.

If it is a fixed socket then (if you have the tools, confidence and competence to do so), isolate the socket, prove that it is isolated (not with one of those crappy neon sticks but a real known good meter), take the socket off the wall and see where the heat is coming from- especially make sure that all terminals are tight.

Ok thanks.

Do I have to replace like for like? ie does it have to be one without the on/off rocker switches for each of the 3 inlets?

Is this a specific type for utility room appliances?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
So are you saying it is an extension cable?
Are there enough fixed sockets in the utility room to have the washing machine in one socket and the tumble dryer in another socket? (ignoring cable lengths from the appliances). If there are then you'll be better off buying 2 single extension cables, 1 for each appliance so that you're not loading a skinny bit of cable with 20A

Hi

No extensions are used. Just fixed wall plug sockets with just the tumble and washing machine plugged directly into it (in the wall).

If washing machine or tumble are used on their own no smell and no heat from the socket on the wall, if both used then heat from socket on wall and smell occur.

I have swapped over all other sockets in house to chrome from white so would be able to do what you suggest.

On this wall socket there is 3 socket inlets, no on/off switches and at the end there is a fuse section - this is where it is hot to touch when both in use.

Thanks

image.jpg

Ahh, that'll be one of those 2 gang to 3 gang converters. Problem you have there is that the fuse (on the right hand side of your pic) is protecting all 3 sockets- with a 13A fuse, thus limiting your available power and causing the overheat.

If you now only need 2 sockets at that location then replace that thing with a standard 2 gang socket (switched or unswitched, up to you, switched is preferable).

Ideally you wouldn't use washing machine and tumble dryer in the same double socket but life often isn't ideal.

Yeah we just got back from holiday so lots of washing so whilst one lot is drying another lot is being washed.

What do I do about the size difference between the 2 gang and 3 gang one? Am i correct in assuming the 2 gang would be smaller in length?

So we shouldnt be using both together?

Thanks

Addendum- is this your house or is it rented? If rented then you need to get the landlord to do the work or you need written permission from him for you to arrange for a competent person to do the work.

Oh boo, didn't realise you can get 3 gang sockets. Thought that was a conversion but possibly not.

Easiest thing to do is to not use washer and dryer at the same time so that's your short term fix

Long term you need a 2 gang (or 3 gang) socket without that fuse. Without taking the socket off the wall it is difficult to tell whether it is truly surface mounted or whether that backbox is really an adaptor plate on a 2 gang flush box.

Ok i will take it off the wall and have a look when this wash has finished. I will try and post a pic after.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back