All this on a double socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many years ago we had a double socket put in by a sparky, he used the central heating connection which used to be the cooker supply (we now have gas), the socket has a 13 amp fuse of it so the socket is properly protected.

We have a fridge, a small freezer, washing machine and tumble dryer all pluged into this. It used to overload and blow the fuse, I have now isnsited that the tumble dryer and washing machines are not used at the same time, this has solved the fuse blowing problem.

Since then (3 years) none of the fuses have blown and plugs never feel hot to touch, am I right in thinking that a double socket can take upto a 26amp load not a 13amp load?

Apart from this one double socket the only other thing connected to it is the central heating pump and the heating control panal.

I think the cable from the CU is a 6mm one not sure what size goes to the socket as I have not opened it up but I assume it will be at least 2.5mm as it was done professionaly.

Sponsored Links
Since then (3 years) none of the fuses have blown and plugs never feel hot to touch, am I right in thinking that a double socket can take upto a 26amp load not a 13amp load?

A double socket should never really be loaded up to 26A but good quality sockets can usually take about 18A-20A without any overheating/melting/burning problems.

Davy

funnily enough, a double socket is "officially" only required to be rated to 13Amps.

If you aren't careful, I'll explain why...

Thanks :) I have always treated them as 13 amp sockets and never exceeded that load (apart from when I discovered it had been overloaded but that was not me). Where would I have got 26amp from?

Its an early 90's MK.

Sponsored Links
two sockets

each fits a 13A plug

that'll be where you got the idea of 26A

but that will overheat them, leading to browning, cracking, and distortion (starting internally)

if your is on a 13A fused spur that will protect it.

so what happens if you have a double with both plugs pulling lets say 12 amps each? Or even better 12.9 amps each isnt that 25.8 amps coming out of the socket?

This what I don't get, because the public will see no problem in putting two washing machines into a double socket, both drawing around 2kw each you have exceeded the capacity of the socket but it won't blow any fuses. It seems rather odd.

You would think all double sockets would have to have a 13 amp fuse.

you might.

and the better makers design their sockets to have greater capacity than the required 13A to give some safety margin.

cheaper ones will probably not.

the problem is most often seen where a washing machine and tumble drier are used together.

all the appliance outlets in my kitchen and utility room are 13A singles (because I know!) :D

Like my mum used to do, luckily I noticed the double adapter!!! it was plugged into was getting very hot before any disaster happened. It is odd you should say the 13amp fuse should have protected, I now wonder if the 13amp fuse is after the plug socket going into the boiler circuits.

ye thats was i was thinking! I have cleaning machine that has 2 plugs which both plug will Pull 12 amps while running. Was told on training course to not use the same plug and split the load, i follow this rule but there must be people out there that dont!

If thats plugged into a 30/32amp ring main I bet that trips a lot of MCBs/fuses!

My dad has a carpet cleaner that draws 10 amps and that ocassionaly trips peoples houses!.

ye thats was i was thinking! I have cleaning machine that has 2 plugs which both plug will Pull 12 amps while running. Was told on training course to not use the same plug and split the load, i follow this rule but there must be people out there that dont!

Matty...is this something that requires a 32A ceeform or similar connection? ie. Are the 2 plugs connected together at some point (both in parallel). If so...STOP USING IT. It's called a widdowmaker for a reason(!). If one of those sockets were to be unplugged and the other one was live then whoever touches the pins is in for a shock...literally. It might not always be you plugging or unplugging it.

On the other hand...it may be a system which utilises separate circuits within the device, which should be safe to operate like this.

I'm not sure which situation this is, as your post could point to either.

Dan

the machine has two vacuum motors, 1 heaters and one high power pump! (60ft of lift at 3bar) The one plug turns on two vacs and pump the other turns on heaters! (think 3.5kw) All controled by different switches depending on what i want it to do. It has never blown a mcb, but has a few times tripped a rcd ( the one with a test button!) The machine is only about a year old, i have sent it back every time it blows the rcd but they can not find a fault with it! It has a hour meter display built into the controls and last time they had it back they put 8 hours on it without showing a fault!

P.s if you leave a plug, unplugged, half the machine does not work!

My first ever post on this forum, over 4 years ago - which inspired me to learn what I now know about electrics:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8520

I cringe to read it now, but it's relevant to this post.
Read particularly the MK Manufacturers quote from Big_Spark (I think he was known at the time as FWL_Engineer!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back