3 double sockets off 13a FCU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

In my conservatory the 13a FCU keeps on blowing a fuse.
Originally the conservatory had one double socket (about 30 years old!)
About 3/4 years ago, the conservatory was rebuilt and 3 extra double sockets were put in.
They installed a 13a FCU from the original double socket (i think)
From what I can work out, the FCU has 3x double sockets coming off it. Plugged into these is a washing machine, tumble dryer and a small heater. This fuse only seems to blow when its cold.. when the small heater is deployed.

In the back of the FCU is 3 sets of wires, 3x yellow/green, 2x brown, 2x blue, 1x red and 1x black. I think the red and black are from the original double socket.

What could I do here? Will I need to have another FCU installed? one for the washing machine and one for the tumble dryer?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
The fuse is doing its job - stopping the cable being overloaded which you are doing - that's why it is there.

You will have to rewire in some way if you want/need to use those appliances.
Either with larger cable or rerouting to incorporate into the ring.

What could I do here? Will I need to have another FCU installed? one for the washing machine and one for the tumble dryer?

No, if you did that the fuses wouldn't blow but the supply cable would then be overloaded, defeating the purpose of why the FCU was fitted in the first place.

You need to properly reconfigure the circuit if the existing wiring allows, or better still install a new circuit for the conservatory, wired right back to the consumer unit. I would advise hiring the services of an electrician for this work as there is more involved to this than it may look.

The last time I saw 3 double sockets wired from an FCU was in a commercial kitchen, installed by an electrician. Any electrician that thinks that is a appropriate needs a good kicking. There was a bag of fuses and a screwdriver ready beside the FCU!

Sponsored Links
No, if you did that the fuses wouldn't blow but the supply cable would then be overloaded, defeating the purpose of why the FCU was fitted in the first place.
Not if the second FCU had a separate origin from the (assumed) ring. However, that's far from a desirable way of doing it. As has been said, it would be better to incorporate conservatory sockets into the (assumed) ring or, better/best, as you suggest, to have a separate new circuit installed for the conservatory (which sounds more like a utility room than a conventional conservatory!).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back