fcu for dishwasher

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok here goes i would like to add a diswasher beside my tumble dryer the tumble dryer has an fcu beside a double socket although the fcu has its own supply from the consumer unit it is also wired into the double socket,
i would really like to take a spur from the double socket to another fcu for the dishwasher, now can i disconnect the wires from socket to origonal fcu so to run another this would give me a seperate supply for each appliance i cant under stand why the one i already have is wired to the consumer unit and a double socket
your thoughts please

Peter

Sponsored Links
So you are saying there is a cable from CU to FCU then to a double socket then back to the CU?
What size MCB/fuse?
What size cable?
Does the FCU cable at CU go to same MCB/fuse as the cable from the socket?
Could also please explain why you have come to this conclusion?
Sorry for the amount of question but they are import
Also any RCD protection on circuit?

ok here goes i would like to add a diswasher beside my tumble dryer the tumble dryer has an fcu beside a double socket although the fcu has its own supply from the consumer unit it is also wired into the double socket,
That statement doesn't make sense! Do you mean that the ring final circuit has an fcu at worktop level that goes down behind the units to a double socket to which the tumble dryer is currently connected. If that is the case then

i would really like to take a spur from the double socket to another fcu for the dishwasher, now can i disconnect the wires from socket to origonal fcu so to run another this would give me a seperate supply for each appliance i cant under stand why the one i already have is wired to the consumer unit and a double socket
your thoughts please
While in these circumstance you could take an additional spur from the double socket, you would probably blow the fcu fuse each time you used the two machines.
Your best option would be to either interupt the ring final circuit (if your kitchen circuit is one) in similar manner to the tumble dryer or run a new circuit back to the Consumer Unit.
In either case you would need to notify you Local Authority Building Control before you start the work and pay their fee or employ the services of a registered electrician.

at work top level there is a double socket beside this double socket is a fused switch with a neon light on it that powers a single socket under the worktop to one appliance, but what im trying to workout is why has this fused switch got 2.5 t&e chased down the wall from the cieling and also a spur from the double socket then down to the single socket under the worktop could i get an electrician to disconnect the spur then spur of the double socket for my dishwasher

Sponsored Links
at work top level there is a double socket beside this double socket is a fused switch with a neon light on it that powers a single socket under the worktop to one appliance, but what im trying to workout is why has this fused switch got 2.5 t&e chased down the wall from the cieling and also a spur from the double socket then down to the single socket under the worktop could i get an electrician to disconnect the spur then spur of the double socket for my dishwasher

This could be part of the ring final circuit coming down from the ceiling into the fcu and then turning through the double socket off to the rest of the ring. The single socket is then run from the fcu as a spur.

thanks riveralt im guessing that a sparky cannot take another spur from the double socket above the worktop as this will overload it

thanks riveralt im guessing that a sparky cannot take another spur from the double socket above the worktop as this will overload it
If this double socket has been wired as part of the ring final circuit then the answer is yes an fcu could be fed from this double socket then cabled down to another single/double appliance socket. Alternatively you could just run the cable directly from the double socket to the appliance socket without an FCU using the appliance plug fuse as the circuit protection. However you will not be able to isolate the appliance before pulling it out.
The only problem might be that you will have two heavy loads potentially on at the same time and this may unbalnce the ring final circuit.
Having said that, I have seen many kitchens with this arrangement and more and not suffer any problems.
Speak to your electrician, he/she will be the best person to assess the situation for you.

least i have some idea what is needed i will get more than one quote just to be sure im getting a fair service

the fact that i have 3 sockets above worktop all with all with a fused switch with neon beside it ( tumble dryer washing mac fridge freezer) looks to me like they are not wired seperatley in fact a cable starts at one socket then feeds through to fused switch back up the wall round to the next socket and so on :rolleyes:

yea i made a good job of that i looked at a double socket and beside this double socket was a fused swith that went to my tumble dryer because i could see 2 x 2.5mm t&e chased in the wall i thought there was a seperate supply for the double socket and another for the fused switch but in reality the cable come down the wall into the double socket then to the fused switch then back up the wall round to the next socket clear as mud i have just got a couple of electricians numbers out of the yellow pages see if i can confuse them as well :confused: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back