Can I spur a spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help with this.

I'm trying to add a socket in a utility room to be able to plug a tumble dryer in, my plan was to run a spur from the back of the nearest double socket (theres only one anyware near the room) but theres already a spur running from the back of the double socket to my boiler via an FCU.

Can I put a 30A junction in this spur and run it off into a double socket to run a tumble dryer and to have a spare socket to charge drill etc? or could I run it off the junction and into an FCU and wire the dryer straight in?

Would this be fine/unsafe/bad practice? thanks for any answers.

Sponsored Links
Before the spur add a 13A fused spur then you can add your extra socket and connect your boiler spur on to this as well

Ok,

so back of the socket into a 13A FCU then in to the junction leading off to the boiler and the socket? using 2.5 cable throughout?

yes, making sure that the boiler and the new socket are off the LOAD side of the new FCU...

Sponsored Links
Thanks, not sure what was meant be the last comment. If the junction box which splits into 2 feeding the boiler and the socket separately is after the FCU doesnt this mean its on the load side?

it's already bad as it is then.. with a spur from a spur, and doing what you suggest in the secodn picture fixes that..

by LOAD side I meant that a FCU has 4 terminals ( not counting the earths ).. 1 live in, 1 neutral in, 1 live out and 1 neutral out..
the "out" terminals are the load side and are often labled as such..

thats good going how the first picture was done by n-power when they fitted the boiler, they even signed the part p cert saying it was safe?

I'll wire it up to the second picture, thanks for your help.

It would only ever be the combi boiler and the tumble dryer, would this be fine? At most additional to this there may be a Hoover attached as well

A tumble dryer has a fairly good chance of drawing the full 13A, so if you tried to use the tumble dryer together with a large load like a hoover you're at risk of blowing the fuse in the FCU...

Can you extend the ring at all, rather than spurring everything?

Think I'm going to have to Try and extend the ring main to the socket, not sure if it's possible, mainly because I'm not sure how to do it. Going to have to do some research.

If you are intending to extend your ring final circuit this link could help, remember you can make joints in unaccessible area i.e. junction boxes underfloor boards unless you can easily access them.
The joints in these areas are best soldered or crimped.
The Links
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:extend_ring

//www.diynot.com/pages/el/el015.php

You should not be taking a spur from a spur unless the the whole string of spurs is protected from the feed outlet by a 13A Fused Connection Unit,
your drawing seem to contradict this.
As happens what you wish to achieve it will be best method to extend the circuit.

Thanks, little confused now though. Just looked behind the socket the current spur is taking it's power from and that only has a single cable as well, does that mean it's a spur (I can trace that cable to another socket then to the boiler) or am I dealing with a radial circuit?

I don't know, you either have string of spurs or a radial :confused:
Go to your consumer unit identify the circuit, and check the wiring in the breaker that protects this circuit. If only one Line/Live conductor is terminated within the breaker. It's likely to be a radial, best switch the breaker off if this kills the live feed to this circuit thats what you have, if two line conductors terminated in breaker you could well be dealing with a ring again switch breaker off and see if circuit is dead.
Problem is that sometimes you may find two circuits on the same breaker so check that no other circuit has been isolated when you do this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back