multiple sockets on a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm busy stripping out our utility room and have discovered that our fridge freezer, washer/dryer, combi boiler and 1 double socket all run off a spur from the ring main. Is it safe to continue running these off the spur with a 13A FCU (maybe with an RCD as well).
In an ideal world I would run a new ring back to the consumer unit but that would involve disturbing our recent kitchen which is not an option
Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as there is a 13A fuse and not a bolt/tinfoil in the fuse holder its fine and meets regs!

A 13A. f.cu. installed prior to the 1st outlet will conform to the Regs , but bear in mind you are limiting your total available load to these outlets to a max of 13 A

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Thanks for the replies.
Spark1 - I realise the load on the sockets will be quite low, that's fine for what we use in there.
SNM - Going back to the consumer unit would be a major headache as the room has concrete floors, concrete ceiling with no room above and the (recently revamped) kitchen next door also has a concrete floor with no room to run cabling neatly.
Looks like it's the FCU route, many thanks everyone.

Davybrown writes :

Spark1 - I realise the load on the sockets will be quite low, that's fine for what we use in there.

fridge freezer, washer/dryer, combi boiler and 1 double socket ???

...Care will have to be taken on what is plugged into the double socket when the washer /dryer is on...I reckon there will be about 2A. available...Can you not remove the socket ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back