Spur question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I want to stack the washer and dryer, there is a socket nearby but it's a double socket as a spur. My question is can I run a washer and dryer from this socket please.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can but I would advise you not to run both at the same time

Do you know the maximum ratings of the appliances?

Nobody will know.

You should be able to but it depends on the state of your socket and plugs.

It would be better if you change to two single sockets even though that is not strictly allowed by the regulations - but that is not for electrical reasons merely for the stupid reason that someone might change the two singles to two doubles in the future.

To negate that stupid reason, you could change the cable to 4mm².

I once tested a mk socket and the max it could go up to without burning was 24 amps.
But in your case you could as both the machines will be at different cycles meaning that they will not be using full current af the same time.

Sponsored Links
I would avoid putting two relatively high current appliances on one twin socket unless I am very sure they`d be extremely unlikely to both be drawing current at the same time. In effect, heating loads such as washers and dryers, whilst a kettle might be ten amps it will not in practice be drawing that for more than a few minutes.

I have been measuring the power used my my dryer, it peaks at around 700 watt, it is variable and depending on load and cycle it can start to cycle on/off, the washing machine only heats water at start of cycle, so the two together assuming using a heat pump dryer will not exceed 3 kW by much and even then not for long.

However there are a load of old washing machines and tumble driers which use a lot more, I used an energy meter
Monday Aug 28 all.jpg

so I know what mine uses, but without monitoring it is like saying I am driving Lands end to that John place can I do it on one tank of petrol.

Eric I`m a simple dinosaur so our machines are the old types from like when we were the kids in the 60s.
Twin tubs and top loaders anyone?

This is another Tuesday 1 all small load.jpg the average use at the end of drying cycle is right down, I have found it takes a lot longer to dry than wash, so can wait until it has started to do the mark/space ratio before setting off another wash.

Yes I remember the twin tub with the mangle, so the clothes were nearly dry before they even went into the spin dryer, and by time they went on the line, did not have tumble dryer back then, they only needed finishing off.

My first vented tumble dryer did not need the hole in the same place as next one, so the hose had a couple of bends, at 2 kw it would trip out, so used on 1 kw setting, so still not a massive load.

We also had a top loader where the drum was horizontal and we opened a section of the drum.

Oddly the first washing machine around 1954 Bendix was a front loader, and bolted down to the floor, at that time special soap for washing machines was unknown, so often a miss calculation caused bubbles to spurt out of the top.

But the twin tub was dragged out to centre of floor, so no hot meals that day, the room was either a wash room or a kitchen not both at the same time, today we have a utility room, which I suppose even two up two down homes had, with the out houses, only difference is I don't need to go outside.

But most machines have a plate saying how much power they use, what they don't say is for how long, and today the washing machines use less water at a lower temperature so the time when heating the water is short, only washer/dryers use a lot of power, really they should have a dedicated circuit, most dryers you can select 1 or 2 kW and we found 60 minutes with 1 kw and 90 minutes at 2 kw so always use 1 kw setting.

PS was there any twin tube which was not top loading?

Mangle, wow you have a mangle! round our way only the posh folk had a mangle, and inside bathrooms, in fact any bathrooms

I think I will get an electrician in and from what I can see they can make the spur part of the ring main easy enough.
Thanks all

So my usual electrician is working away, can I run an shop bought extension from the double socket on the ring main under the units to the washer and dryer, would that be ok
Thanks

ok forget that , I have had the washer and dryer out and looked at the existing wiring and the washer is fed off the ring main socket as a spur then the dryer is a spur off the spur. This was done by an electrical firm when we had a new kitchen is it right to do a spur off a spur.
I will now need to extend the ring main and do a spur off the new socket to feed the new freezer
thanks

You should read the replies.

Post #3
It would be better if you change to two single sockets even though that is not strictly allowed by the regulations - but that is not for electrical reasons merely for the stupid reason that someone might change the two singles to two doubles in the future.

To negate that stupid reason, you could change the cable to 4mm².

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back