Adding a fused switch to sockets for washer and drier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having two sockets added for our wasing machine and tumble drier, we have had electricians to quote but we are confused as to which method is best. The cable will be taken from an existing ring ciruit to either -
a) two 13amp fused switches to two single sockets
b) one 13amp fused switch to one double socket
c) one 20amp fused switch to one double socket.
We would prefer to have just one fused switch and one double socket for both appearance and ease of fitting but need to know if there are any problems with this. We do have both the washing machine and drier running at the same time quite a lot (especially while the weather is as it is). Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
Fuse at switch only go to 13amp, so the 20amp fused switch isn't an option.

Since the appliances have a fuse in the plug why have a switched fuse anyway ?

I'd make the socket singles with a above counter 20amp switch to isolate each appliance for safety / fault / fire- and each socket being part of the ring main, not spurs.

The problem could be that you are limiting your load to the two appliances, what power output are they?
I'd prefer a switched FCU and a single socket for each.

The electricians advised that as the sockets will be behind the machines to have a fused switch above in case of needing to switch them off as you say.

If we made them as you suggest am I right in thinking we would need two seperate 20amp switches and two single sockets or one 20amp switch to the two single sockets?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, I am not sure what the power outputs are on the washing machine and drier but will try to find out.

If you had a switched FCU and a single socket for each, would you have one switched FCU or two? Also what amp FCU's would be needed as are 20amp or 13amp?

Ideally you want an isoaltion point above the counter, just in case the appliances become faulty or the socket outlets does.
For convenience I'd always go for an isolator(S/FCU) on each appliance and a single socket being protected by them, if you only have one, it will then depend on the output of the appliance, as an overload could be caused.

Also, you don't want to put two heavy machines on one 13A socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back