Can I run a spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. just after some advice.
In my downstairs toilet/washing machine room I have a 63amp 3 way consumer unit which is powered by a spur from the household socket ring which is from a 30 amp fuse in an old fuse box.
Firstly is this ok?
There are 2 32 amp mcb's in the consumer unit one going to a fused switch then to a double socket in the shed the other going to a double socket for washer and drier.
Assuming this is ok can I run a spur from internal double socket to power another double socket?

Sponsored Links
In my downstairs toilet/washing machine room I have a 63amp 3 way consumer unit which is powered by a spur from the household socket ring which is from a 30 amp fuse in an old fuse box.
Firstly is this ok?
No, it's completely wrong.
Are you certain that is how it is connected.
There are 2 32 amp mcb's in the consumer unit one going to a fused switch then to a double socket in the shed the other going to a double socket for washer and drier.
Assuming this is ok can I run a spur from internal double socket to power another double socket?
No. You need an electrician to sort it

Hello. just after some advice.
Firstly is this ok?
Assuming you mean its powered from the old fuse box 30Amp fuse then Yes but No because of what you say next.
No.

You cannot run a spur from a spur.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is ,not done by me ,i've only just found out where the feed into the CU comes from.
I just assumed the CU was like a garage unit as it only serves the shed and one other socket.
So does this mean the CU should have its own feed directly from the main fusebox.
I'm not doing it myself I just like to be armed with info when talking to tradesmen

...the other going to a double socket for washer and drier.
To add to the various 'No' answers you've already received, it's also not really satisfactory to have a washer and drying both supplied from the same double socket - since, despite what one might think, they are not designed to supply two heavy loads (i.e. 2 x 13A) simultaneously, and therefore might overheat. When you're having everything else sorted out, you might want to have that addressed as well.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back