I dont understand about fuses!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone help please? I used to have the latest type of fuse box where I just flicked a switch whenever a fuse was blown, but I've just moved into a house with very old fashioned fuses, I have to manually thread fuse wire into the fuse whenever a light bulb blows. I've been told there's a fuse I can just plug and unplug, ie with the wire already loaded in, and they're a lot cheaper than installing the latest type of fuse box that you just have to switch the trip switch. What are these plug-in type of fuse called and where can I buy them please?

Sponsored Links
http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/Circuit+Protection/Replacement+MCBs/Wylex/Old'+B+Type/Wylex+MCB+'Old+B+Type'+SP+32A/1718552408

These are MCB replacements, but they make your installation no safer.

If you have a Wylex standard rewireable fusebox (sounds like it), please get your wiring inspected before you go putting these in.

http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/Circuit+Protection/Replacement+MCBs/Wylex/Old'+B+Type/Wylex+MCB+'Old+B+Type'+SP+32A/1718552408

These are MCB replacements, but they make your installation no safer.

If you have a Wylex standard rewireable fusebox (sounds like it), please get your wiring inspected before you go putting these in.

Or replace the cartidges with coathangers. They'll never blow then!!

Sponsored Links
For Wylex click on picture to see more. These are available in 6A, 16A, 20A, 32A, and 40A however they are rated at only 3kA and it is important that either the PSC or let through amps of main fuse is low enough to allow there use.
Also with modern consumer units the use of RCBO or Multi RCD is possible which is far safer. So before going half way you may want to consider the option of going the whole hog.
I would advise you get a registered electrician to quote and comment as not really a DIY job.
I know £7.10 seems cheap enough and it is only one screw to change them plus remove cut out in lid but but with such an old system you may be missing something.

I have to manually thread fuse wire into the fuse whenever a light bulb blows.

In that case, there is something very wrong with your installation.
MCBs (the ones with switches) can trip when lamps fail as they are far more sensitive and react much more quickly than fuses.

Fuse wire takes a comparitively long time to fail, and if a single lamp failing is taking out the fuse, it suggests that circuit is already significantly overloaded.

if you post a pic of your Consumer Unit, Meter, supplier's fuse and the various wires around and between them, especially green and yellow ones, we can get an idea of the age and condition of your intsallation, and say more

How old is the house, how old do you think the wiring is, what colour are the cables?

How many lamps, of what wattage, are on the circuit that you say has blown the fuse?

I'm yet to see coathanger...

I've only seen Alu foil and strands of copper from T+E in fuses so far :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back