Lamp blowing fuse - in-line RCB?

I only came up with that because presumably the bulb is only lasting 3 months because the voltage is on the high side.

Maybe. Or perhaps he is using it for around 1000 hours in those 3 months. 1000 hours is the usual life for an incandescent lamp.

Sponsored Links
Maybe. Or perhaps he is using it for around 1000 hours in those 3 months. 1000 hours is the usual life for an incandescent lamp.
That may be the case but my experience with them is the bulb does fail prematurely. Having said that I haven't had any experience of them in the last 15 years or so and have no idea of the construction of recent lamps.

When manufacturers chose to have all done in China that's when this problem started to occur, its to do with cheapness in manufacturing, so unfortunately using that type of lamp will generally take the MCB or fuse out when the lamp blows

Are you using cheap unbranded lamps? These only last a couple of hundred hours at best. Get some good quality new old stock branded lamps from the likes of Philips, Osram or GE which should actually last near their 1,000 or 2,000 life rating

Sponsored Links
Are you using cheap unbranded lamps? These only last a couple of hundred hours at best. Get some good quality new old stock branded lamps from the likes of Philips, Osram or GE which should actually last near their 1,000 or 2,000 life rating

Even the likes of them are cheapened these days and made in China, they took out a little component in the filament lamps which does not affect the workings but cause the trips to be taken out when the lamp fails. The older and branded ones are generally better though but could still cause the problem, especially if counterfeit which there are lots of.

Sadly I'm an old fogey and still haven't got my head around the change ofnames of devices.
To me a bulb it the thing that emits light and is fitted into a lamp.

So my comment about a overheating is the lack of ventilation built into the lamp [the enclosure/fitting] causing the bulb to overheat.

The lava lamp we had was simply a metal tube with an internal ring, the bulb rested on the ring and a standard cord grip bulbholder hung on that, the glass bottle sat on top of the tube. The only escape for the heat was through the metal tube and the bottle so yes the bulb got very hot and I found on more than one ocassion the bulb had cracked, presumably due to the constant expansion and contraction and dropping further into the ring and hence being compressed as it cooled.

Sadly I'm an old fogey and still haven't got my head around the change ofnames of devices.
To me a bulb it the thing that emits light and is fitted into a lamp.

So my comment about a overheating is the lack of ventilation built into the lamp [the enclosure/fitting] causing the bulb to overheat.

The lava lamp we had was simply a metal tube with an internal ring, the bulb rested on the ring and a standard cord grip bulbholder hung on that, the glass bottle sat on top of the tube. The only escape for the heat was through the metal tube and the bottle so yes the bulb got very hot and I found on more than one ocassion the bulb had cracked, presumably due to the constant expansion and contraction and dropping further into the ring and hence being compressed as it cooled.

old school is normally a lamp gives out light a bulb goes in the ground in the hope something grows

One country I know, calls lightbulbs "Tulips"

Thanks for the comments.

The bulb is a golf ball type and actually works more hours per week than I do - 42. But it may be that the current :rolleyes: ones are bulk buys off Amazon so may not be the best type. But oddly that may explain why other branded bulbs I have used in the past have not blown the fuse when the bulbs blew.

I can't click on the link to the MCB as apparently Screwfix have designated this product to be non-essential and can't be purchased. But I know what it is and an enclosure may not be possible to fit in the space available. But I'll bear it in mind thanks.

I'll find some 5A fuses and give them ago. Or I may need to stretch to some better quality bulbs :eek:

Thanks for the comments.

The bulb is a golf ball type and actually works more hours per week than I do - 42. But it may be that the current :rolleyes: ones are bulk buys off Amazon so may not be the best type. But oddly that may explain why other branded bulbs I have used in the past have not blown the fuse when the bulbs blew.

I can't click on the link to the MCB as apparently Screwfix have designated this product to be non-essential and can't be purchased. But I know what it is and an enclosure may not be possible to fit in the space available. But I'll bear it in mind thanks.

I'll find some 5A fuses and give them ago. Or I may need to stretch to some better quality bulbs :eek:
I have a 5 arm light fitting in the lounge with glass shades, golfball bulbs are recommended by manufacturer but have a stupidly short life span, on one ocassion we had 3 blow withing hours of each other and I fitted some candle bulbs and have done so ever since as we noticed the lack of expansion noises. It's very obvious when looking at them as there is very little space between the bulb and rim of the shade whereas candle bulbs have loads of space around them.

About 12 years on we still have some original golfball bulbs working in other lamp fittings with greater airflow.

lets see if this works: https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-easy9-3a-sp-type-b-mcb/7749p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back