I dont understand about fuses!

don't know about coat hangers, but saw a 13A fuse on a welder replaced with a nozel from the welder..

same diameter as a fuse, just happens to be solid brass ( bar the hole through the middle. )

Sponsored Links
My old fella, when I was a lad, once used a coathanger for the main fuse (the one prior to the electric meter with the suppliers seal on it, whatever it's proper name is).

Even at the age of 10, I knew this didn't seem right. Needless to say, he was Polish :rolleyes:

I can beat that - 3 phase install to block of flats - 20mm steel conduit cut to correct length in company heads...

bet that had never blown
:D
SB

I think it was on the Blue Room forum I once saw a photo of a BS1363 plug where the live pin & fuseholder had been replaced with a neutral pin, so no need to fart around with alternatives to a proper fuse at all...

Sponsored Links
Without wishing to hijack this post, and please be gentle with me when I ask:

If one has a 17th edition CU with 16A MCBs is it really necessary to have 13A fuses in plugs (apart from the 3A difference that is?) Would not a short or surge be picked up by the MCB and/or RCD?

Fuses in plugs are required, as they are there to protect the flex between the plug and the appliance.
Some appliances might have flex rated to 16A. Most will not.
There is also the very likely scenario that the appliance will be used elsewhere on a circuit with a 32A breaker.
Not to mention that unfused BS1363 plugs are not available (unless you want to include the dangerous and poor quality chinese copies which surfaced a few years ago).

If you want unfused sockets and plugs for appliances, you could fit the round Shuko ones instead, as commonly used elsewhere in Europe.

Fuses in plugs are required, as they are there to protect the flex between the plug and the appliance.
Some appliances might have flex rated to 16A. Most will not.
There is also the very likely scenario that the appliance will be used elsewhere on a circuit with a 32A breaker.

Makes sense. Was more curious than anything, so thanks for the reply.

At the very least get a new earthing system to your gas and water and main earthing terminal and a new 17th edition consumer unit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back