332kg wardrobe too heavy for first floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Wife wants to buy an IKEA wardrobe whose weight (without our stuff inside of course) is 332kg. The area of the wardrobe is 1.55 sq m, which gives us the pressure of 214 kg per sq m.

She wants to place it in a 6 sq m bedroom on the first floor. I am now concerned if the floor will be all right? My house was built in mid 90's and the distance between the joists is 600mm if that helps.

Am I rightfully worried or just being silly?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Are you sure that's not a misprint? Unlikely for any IKEA crap to be that heavy.

That does sound a bit heavy, though some IKEA stuff is OK, I can speak from experience the melamine covered chipboard on a Billy bookcase is considerably denser and stronger compared to the standard crap from Argos etc or a bit of Conti board from B&Q.

It's not a misprint on my side. That's a PAX wardrobe that's 250 x 62 x 202 cm. She also designed it with plenty of drawers inside.

Sponsored Links
Ok, equivalent to 3 fat blokes holding outstretched hands stood against the wall.

FMT - my house is full of IKEA, nothing wrong with most of it, I'm just a bit bitter that I can't afford proper furniture.

Or 4 me, I guess I am 75% of a standard fat bloke.

So I am being paranoid and my floor will be fine, right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back