New Build joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Moved into a new house at the end of Jan. Had some cracking noises from where the stud timber walls upstairs were meeting the floor, which were mostly resolved by the builder by packing under them. However i am a little concerned re the deflection in the joists in the main bedroom, picture attached of the kitchen downstairs which i took before it was all plaster boarded. The large wardrobe we have put in the bedroom above moves slightly when you walk past it, as do a chest of draws (although they are close to the wall so less likely the joists and more likely just movement from the carpet). Now i assume that the joists are spaced at 600mm, but wanted to know if anyone knows if this is correct. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_8026.JPG
    IMG_8026.JPG
    225.8 KB · Views: 441
Sponsored Links
I thought they were spaced according to the size of the joist itself and the span? I think they have been spaced at 600mm

What’s the span . ? Need to be less than around 3.5 m to use that spacing . Personally would never use 600mm spacing on a joist.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - i actually on reflection think it is just vibration causing the wardrobe doors to shake a little as i walk past them. As even just repidly pressing the carpet up and down near the base of the wardrobe has a similar affect

The joists may be within span, but is the chipboard flooring? If it's 22mm it is; if it's 18mm, it isn't.

where is the blocking/struts? Is it not needed with those engineered joists?

If it is a new house put your concerns in writing to the builder and keep a copy.

They came back and took the skirting off, and packed under it which helped remove the cracking noises. But it has returned again. It is apparently where the stud wall meets the chipboard flooring. It is definitely 22mm chipboard on 600mm centre joists. Not sure how much noise is acceptable with a timer framed wall and chipboard flooring, i don't expect silence but where i lived before was a new ish house and only the stairs made a lot of noise, not the floor itself, but then it was half the size so the span was nowhere near as wide for the joists.

Does the stud wall run parallel to the floor joists ,when it should be built off double joists , or at right angles to the joists, when it should be built off noggins between joists :?:
Is there herringbone strutting or noggins/timber blocks at mid span of the joists ,which there should be for spans over 2.5m :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back