floor joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1960's house, 2 bedrooms, 2 floors.
Downstairs in the living room, I can see 3 joists in the ceiling. 2 not so obvious, 1 is obvious which runs parallel to the stairs. I believe the term is sagging joists.
Is this a problem. What is the severity?
No cracks on plasterboard in the house except where the obvious sagging joist is. The crack Is about 1.5mm gap, about 1.5m long horizontally in line with the joist(visable when halfway upstairs). This joist supports the built-in wardrobe over the stairs. The living room is at the front of the house with kitchen in the rear.
I also can see 1 joist in the kitchen.
Most floorboards upstairs creeks and move.
I have lived here a year and a bit and nothing mentioned in home buyers report. No cracks on outside of house.

Yet to pull up floorboards and check.
So a problem? expensive job?

Thanks
Ritchie

Sponsored Links
Not a problem and not severe - the crack is probably along a plaster board join - artexed ceiling ? Get it skimmed over with attention paid to that area by a good plasterer ;) Just my personal opinion

Timber joists will sag when loaded up - the sagging one(s) have probably been slightly overloaded - but as above it's not a serious problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back