Reassurance on joists please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is mid-terrace dating back to 1870. When we bought it the bathroom was downstairs off the kitchen. We have since moved it upstairs to the first floor (using a reputable fitter).

My concern is that when preparing the floor the fitters decided the floorboards weren't up to scratch for the cast iron bath (and replaced the boards) but that the joists were fine. Now, after 5 months of fitting out the room, there are still audible creaks and clicks from the room.

Is this still settling or prehaps a sign of something to worry about? There is no sign of cracking or sagging in the ceiling below. Am I worrying needlessly?

Sponsored Links
Absolute Beginner said:
My concern is that when preparing the floor the fitters decided the floorboards weren't up to scratch for the cast iron bath (and replaced the boards) but that the joists were fine. Now, after 5 months of fitting out the room, there are still audible creaks and clicks from the room.
Depending the centres of the joists in them days and if herringbone was put in, an extra noggins in between joists and using plywood for flooring will give you a solid floor.

Is the flooring chipboards? if so, maybe it wasn't glued in the T&G joints and you're maybe hearing the clicks noise from the joints, it's amazing how many T&G chipboards are not glued :eek: Talcum powder rubbed in the joints will help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back