Depression in floorboards - 10mm across 1.8m span - leveling for laminate floor?

Here is what I have been working on today, trying to take some material off the hump near the bay window.

zHwvoAd.png

Sponsored Links
I'll do it if it is the right answer, but I don't want to buy the material and then laying it down shows up even more humps and bumps.
It will smooth it out a lot, but to get it absolutely flat you need to float on some SLC (self levelling compound) over the top of the ply. If I were you I'd use a long straight edge to see how far off you are now, and make my decision then. Remember that if you do overply it is ring nails on 100mm centres (325 per sheet) or screws on 150mm centres with 100mm centres around the perimeter (about 180 screws per sheet). There are no shortcuts to this

A power planer can thin down boards quite quickly, but nails and screws need to be set beneath the surface first (and checked for regularly) and even then you'll hit a few, so best to have so.e spare blades available. Limit the amount you take off, though - on old 1-1/4 to 1-1/8in (32 to 28mm) boards you can generally take off 5 to 6mm, but on 1in (25mm) boards I wouldn't take above 3mm, and below that I think I'd give it a miss.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they were 28-32mm boards - they are about 18mm thick that's all. I used a hand plane (hard work) and maybe got a couple mm of material off.

I don't know if I could use SLC anyway as the whole floor appears to slightly slope down front to back. I don't think this is an issue for laminate as long as the floor is flat enough.

The longest thing I have is my 6ft level.

Sponsored Links
You should take your floorboards to the doctor if they are depressed!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back