Your opinions on my floor dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a chimney breast and hearth removed, resulting in what you can see on my uploaded pic. I'd like Quick-step laminate fitted on top of floorboards, but need to sort this bit of floor out and not really sure what to do, appreciate your opinions :)

Obviously I can fit 2 small pieces of floorboard to the exposed joists, leaving small voids either side - what to fill with? Celotex insulation board? That would leave the (uneven) concete base - I really don't know whether I should be smashing this up or levelling with compound :?:

It doesn't feel damp but that is also a concern, do I need a DPM? The two damp patches you see are where the plasterboard were touching brick and drawing moisture up through it. Hopefully that is sorted now there is a gap, although I don't know how long the plaster will take to dry.

View media item 25992

Sponsored Links
Wbp ply would be your best bet here. Fixed to the joists where you can and bedded on a gunnable adhesive above the old hearth.I wouldn't worry too much about a dpc as any moisture is going to find its around it anyway.

Thanks for the help, actually I decided to bash it up in the end. Think I will span some new joist across the gap, overlapped and fixed to the existing joist and put down an 8x4" sheet of WBP ply as you suggested. I will put some DPC roll between new joist and brick though. Hopefully this will work, soon find out!

View media item 26168

Sponsored Links
As you have gone to all that trouble there is the option of fitting the ply lower and running floorboards over the top should you decide to sand up the floor as opposed to fitting carpet. :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back