6mm ply over floor & old fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a couple of rooms that used to have a fireplace. These have been removed and the tiled hearth lifted sometime in the past.

The upshot is that there is a small sunken area where the tiles used to be laid.

We are going to use leveling compound to bring the sunken area level with the floorboards.

As the floorboards are in a bad way we are overlaying everywhere with 6mm ply, including over where we have just leveled.

To fix the ply to the floorboards we are using 20 mm screws at 300mm centres.

My question is how is it best to fix the ply over the leveling compound? Will it be adhesive? If so what sort?

Saying that is it best to just overlay the floorboards and use more leveling compound to bring the hearth level with the new ply - I would prefer not to do this as if we ever lift the ply (say to sand the floors) we'll have an uneven floor where the leveling compound protrudes from the surface.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers

jon

Sponsored Links
i would try to set the ply out so that it's fixed around the fireplace enough that it does not need fixing directly over the fireplace area.

If not then for me its wall plug into the fireplace area (concrete/screed) as opposed to adhesive

possibly would put some laminate insulation or the like to take out any small unevenness/deflection.

Nb i tend to use sand/cement screed for this job (take out the sunken area).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back