Full ply versus ply/levelling on part-wood part-concrete flo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking around the forum and found many people with a similar situation - room in house is part wooden floorboards (loose not T&G) and part screeded concrete. I'm looking to lay vinyl across the whole floor.

Advice seems to be ply on the floorboards, and raising level using levelling compound - however I'm concerned there is a possibility of flex between the floorboards and the concrete edge; the rafters seem solid but there is a missing rafter where there used to be a fireplace.

Two floor fitters have said the expected ply on one side and levelling on the other. But one suggested ply across the full area. Now I know this is more work (a hundred rawlplugs into concrete) but will it give a better surface to avoid seeing a step in the vinyl?

What about an intermediate option of getting the ply to slightly overlap the concrete?

Or even putting levelling compound over the ply as well to seal the whole lot? (maybe that is overkill...)

I guess that's what happens when you speak to too many different fitters!

Sponsored Links
fix the beam first! Then 6mm ply lipped onto the concrete by 1/2 an inch. Then full screed over the concrete and plywood with fibre bonded smoothing compound. If done correct the end finish will be like a billard table.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back