Levelling where extension concrete floor meets existing timber floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're having an extension built - knocking through the existing kitchen to make a kitchen diner and the builders will soon be laying the insulation and screeding. The existing kitchen floor is currently tiled.

Should I ask the builders to bring the screed level to the existing timber floor? (i.e. after removing the tiles + any subfloor that is under the tiles?

The problem I can see with this is that I will need to lay 6mm ply over the wooden floor area before laying the new floor but I assume I wouldn't do this over the concrete extension floor - so the existing kitchen floor level will then be 6mm higher than the extension.

The new floor wil either be LVT or ceramic tiles - haven't decided yet.

If I do as above - would I then need to use self levelling compound over the extension concrete floor to bring it up 6mm?

Alternatively should I lay the 6mm ply before they screed and ask them to bring the screed up to the level of the ply?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks @foxhole - I assume you mean lay the 6mm cement boards over both the concrete extension and the wooden floor? What sort of adhesive do you use to attach them to the concrete/screed?

Sponsored Links
Alternatively should I lay the 6mm ply before they screed and ask them to bring the screed up to the level of the ply?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Yes do this. Then you can do a 5mm coat of a fibre smoothing compound over the lot ready for Lvt or ceramics

you will prob need a moisture suppressant on top of the new screed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back