What is the solution for my kitchen/diner floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have open plan kitchen/diner where old pine floorboards were recently sanded and varnished by enthusiastic (non) professional buider. The job was not done to a very quality level ((this was the third time to sand them), so it looks good from far, but looking closer there are gaps here and there (for food and water to go underneath….), wood filler patches here and, most importantly, the floorboards seem to have lost their thickness. I feel some deflection/sagginess when I walk – I can live with that but it shouldn’t be like this. Moreover, the total floor is uneven or wavy (like everywhere else in the house).
Pine floorboards everywhere else downstairs are hard, level and look nice and do not bother me.
I need to live with the existing kitchen floor for a while, but as soon as I can afford it I am thinking to replace it with tiles in the kitchen area and laminate in the dining area.
My questions are:
1) Will existing too thin floorboards (around 13-15mm) bear the underlay (plywood or something) and new flooring? Or should these floorboards be removed? Floorboards are laid on joists and there is a gap with pipes between them (Victorian house…)
2) How do I level three different flooring, i.e. tiles, laminate and floorboards that remain in hallway?
3) Do I need to remove kitchen units to lay the new floor? The kitchen units are fine and can stay for a while, I guess the removal would create a lot additional cost…
4) How much it can cost altogether? (considering cheap tiles (£10-12/sq.m) and cheap laminate (£10/sq.m)?
Many thanks for anyone who will read and reply!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back