What to do with old thin floorboards with very low budget?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. We have old pine floorboards in downstairs kitchen/diner, lounge and hallway. While the lounge and hallway floorboards are still more or less ok, kitchen/diner is what really bothers me. The floorboards were sanded and varnished (6 times) 2 years ago. Admittedly they were sanded too thin, are slightly moving when you walk on them, huge gaps in between, some are cracked, plus they are unlevel (coming down in the middle) and now the varnish started coming off. I really don't have any budget for it at the moment, so would like to "fix" it cheaply before they have gone really poor and until I can afford a proper kitchen overhaul.
The options discussed in the family in with a builder where these.
1. The builder suggested we level the floor with putting plywood on the floorboards and then whatever flooring above. Would increase the floor level a lot plus can't be done under the kitchen units. The kitchen units are still ok (IKEA) and could serve another 5 years.
2. I suggested to remove the kitchen units, remove floorboards, level joists, replace with plywood, put whichever flooring - the bilder said he is doubting if he could put back the mentioned units as they might not hold when taken away. It makes the whole cost too high.
3. Someone suggested to put plastic sheet on the lowest floor level, then pour leveling material on it, then hardboard or plywood and vinyl flooring on top - sounds maybe a cheaper option but somehow... not very serious?
4. I could revarnish the floorboards myself, however where the varnish has gone, it's become greyish colour and I can't reach a proper yellow colour without a proper sanding, which I don't want to do because the floorboards are already too thin. I wonder if the varnish is put straight on the damaged areas, would it preserve it from damaging further?
5. My last option would be just lay some cheap vinyl straight on the floorboards and accept that it would not look nice with all the gaps behind, however could serve me for another 3 to 5 years until I can afford to do the whole kitchen.
Sorry for the long post. Really need to get going with it. Any advices please? I am thinking probably option 4 or 5... what do you think?

Sponsored Links
the floorboards are no longer strong enough so adding leveling will just crack
to do it cheap but not level chipboard flooring on top [yuk] :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back