New Kitchen, Starting with Flooring fitst

yof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm installing a new kitchen, starting from the floorboards up and I'm having conflicting advice.

Currently, there is nothing in the kitchen including no floorboards. I'm doing the kitchen up so I can eventually either sell or rent my house out.

Originally it had 18mm floorboards. So I can put down Vinyl flooring, I thought it would be better to put down plywood.

The kitchen is at ground level, on wooden joists, there was a slight damp problem below, which I've been sorting out, but it will still be slightly damp underneath the kitchen near the external wall, I've added a new damp proof course and extra ventilation and will finally add in an extra wall below my patio, where the
dampness comes in to reduce this problem. But I was thinking of using marine - ply, incase the dampness stays. Is this worth worth it or is there better ply to use?

I was going to use 18mm plywood, but my builder say 20mm will be better, is this worth it, I was thinking this with raise the level in comparison to the hallway

My builder says I should put the Vinyl flooring down over all the floor, but I was just thinking of putting it under the kickboards of the units and under the fridge , so if I rent it out and it needs replacing it will be very easy to do, what do you think?

Finally all kitchens leak at some point, my dad says I should varnish the plywood first for an extra layer of protection for the floor, will this be ok? and can I easily put on the Vinyl flooring afterwards?

Any help will be much appreitiated

yof

Sponsored Links
The kitchen is at ground level, on wooden joists, there was a slight damp problem below, which I've been sorting out, but it will still be slightly damp underneath the kitchen near the external wall, I've added a new damp proof course and extra ventilation and will finally add in an extra wall below my patio, where the
dampness comes in to reduce this problem. But I was thinking of using marine - ply, incase the dampness stays. Is this worth worth it or is there better ply to use?
I would have thought that the joists would rot through long before just normal ply wood if the damp is that big an issue???

I wouldnt have thought varnish would make that much difference, the floor would still need to dry out if there was a leak, structural ply should dry out without any major issues (unlike chipboard)

Regarding plywood and its preparation, search the tiling forum, there are a lot of topics, where tilers explain how to prepare a timber floor for tiling. You don't need to make you floor as thick as required for tiles but the rest of the advice is relevant for you purposes.

You don't need marine ply, use WBP ply (in some shops it is called external grade ply). The only difference between marine and WBP is the decorative finishing, required on yachts and boats. You can prime the ply on both sides as additional protection against moister but look on the tiling forum about the type of primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back