Plywood on concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a first floor flat and most of the house has t&g floorboards that after 110 years are not in good condition.
I've screwed 12mm ply over the floors and this has provided a good surface for vinyl in most of the house.
The kitchen has a concrete floor and I'd like to put plywood over the concrete. I could drill and plug and screw it at 100mm centres as I fixed the ply over the floorboards at 100mm centre but it would be a lot of work.
Is there any good adhesive that will stick ply to concrete firmly enough. I was thinking of grip fill but there is probably something better. As we are on the first floor damp should not be a problem.
I want to do this while the kitchen is clear of units and before I fit the new kitchen.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
john4703 good evening

Must admit I have seen a few of these configurations, the concrete floor in the Kitchen, the ones i have seen and worked in were principally in the Port Glasgow area.

The concrete kitchen floors I saw were all generally good and flat having been troweled to an acceptable finish which will accept a Ply top screwed down

If the concrete surface is not so good? a good self leveling screed or indeed grip fill plus screws will give a good solid finish.

I could never understand why the bathroom was not constructed with a concrete floor as well as the Kitchen??

Grip fill and drill and plug in places to hold it down while glue sets.
Or use a screeding compound to match the height of plywood in the other room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back