Laying Plywood onto concrete

arh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Had a solid wood floor installer advise me to lay 12mm WBP plywood over my concrete floor to block moisture and help to even floor.

Is this the best thickness to use?
Should I lay a DPM under the ply?
He recommended screwing and glueing this - what type of screws and glue should be used?
Some of the floor is floorboards I guess I will only need to screw into this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is the concrete new or existing?

Ply will not stop moisture, a DPM is required. National wood Flooring association suggest a polythene membrane as a DPM and then install the ply over this (this is where you have a problem) fixing through the polythene makes holes and defeats the object, so you could lay it floating but if the floor is not reasonably level the floor will be bouncy. 12mm ply is not sufficient to nail into unless using staples or short nails i would get 22 mm. The other option is to use kiln dried battens 22mm and glue and screw these direct to the concrete at 40cm centres, put insulation between the battens and use a sisalkraft moistop (bitumen backed building paper) over the battens as a moisture barrier and then nail the floor into the battens through the paper. Both systems are used and proved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back