Laying ply over concrete fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying 9mm ply throughout prior to laying the engineered wood flooring, however where a fireplace used to be there is a 1400x730 concrete section that i have to cover.

I can't easily screw into this, so can I cover it with a sheet of ply, screwing into the floor boards where I can and then glueing it to the concrete using some mega grip - or other really strong gripping stuff?

Sponsored Links
stumped?

I stuck it with mega grip. It's working a bit, but not perfect. I think I'm gonna drill and plug the concrete a few times to secure it.

What do you mean: "working a bit"? Its either rock solid or its not. Any movement will translate to the engineered wood - and possibly squeak.
Plug and screw. But you must be screwing into a solid backing (concrete or stone), not to some off-cut of what appears to be white panel board.

FWIW: have you vented the flue in the chimney breast and has the flue been swept?

What do you mean: "working a bit"? Its either rock solid or its not. Any movement will translate to the engineered wood - and possibly squeak.
Plug and screw. But you must be screwing into a solid backing (concrete or stone), not to some off-cut of what appears to be white panel board.

FWIW: have you vented the flue in the chimney breast and has the flue been swept?

The working a bit was referring to some bits stuck rock solid but other bits didn't quite take hold - probably due to me not putting enough heavy stuff on top of it to hold it down whilst it set.

The white bit is painted white concrete / stone floor and the 2 grey squares are the filled holes from where the chimney was. So it will be solid backing.

The chimney was gone long before I bought the place - 1978, however there were some remains of the brickwork which I've had removed. Why do you mention venting and sweeping the flue?

Sponsored Links
I believe chimney 'hearth' is the word I've been looking for for the white bit on the floor.

I assume that the plastered wall behind the hearth is a chimney breast?

No its solid wall - the back of the old chimney. It's an edwardian house converted to 4 flats in 1978. Chimney in mine was removed. The flat above, the chimney is now a doorway - not sure what it is in the flat above that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back