Ply flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the midst of renovating my bathroom and need a decent floor. I am fitting a shower and want a perfect floor to fit the shower tray onto. I live in a first floor flat and the 110-year-old T&G floor boards are not exactly perfect. I plan to fit vinyl as the final floor covering and want to have vinyl in the hallway as well. The company that will supply and lay the vinyl have recommended laying 9mm ply over the old boards to give a level surface. That will be adequate in the hallway.

In the bathroom I’d like to take up the existing T&G and replace with a layer of 9mm ply, then a layer of 18mm ply (together these should match the existing 27mm T&G) then lay a final sheet of 9mm play over it all and extend this into the hallway so there is no joint at the door.

I have a few questions. Should I use pva glue between the layers of ply in the bathroom? I’ll screw the ply to each joist at 75mm centres.

In the hallway I thought of screwing the 9mm ply to the 27mm T&G with 35mm screws on a grid of about 150mm centres, does that sound acceptable?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back