small gaps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old house, built about 1905 with tongue & groove floors that are a bit uneven.
I want to have vinyl in my hall and have covered the floor with 9mm ply screwed down at 150mm centres and 70mm centres round all edges.
The walls are far from straight and in some places there are gaps between the 9mm ply and the skirting boards, the biggest gap is about 4mm.
I wondered if this would be a problem for the vinyl, I could easily fill the gaps with grip fill but will not bother if it is not needed.
In the same way should I fill the screw heads, I used 4m by 35mm screws and wonder if the vinyl will be marked by the screw heads.
I realise how little I know about vinyl and welcome any advice

thanks

Sponsored Links
All screw heads should be counter sunk and filled.
The edges can be filled as well.
Feather all filler.
If you have butting sheets of ply things become a bit trickier.
Do you plan on cutting-in the sheet vinyl yourself?
Has raising the FFL interfered with opening and closing any doors?

All screw heads should be counter sunk and filled.
The edges can be filled as well.
Feather all filler.
If you have butting sheets of ply things become a bit trickier.
Do you plan on cutting-in the sheet vinyl yourself?
Has raising the FFL interfered with opening and closing any doors?
Thanks Vin that is helpful. All the screws are countersunk and it will be easy to fill them. There are lots of joints between ply sheets but they are tight and there is no height difference. I'll fill the screw-heads and the edges and then let the professional fitter lay the vinyl, I would cut it wrong if I tried. I will remove the WC to make the job easier for him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back