Gaps between ply and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting down a ply floor ready for laying vinyl (bathroom). The walls arn't particurely straight I've got some gaps up to 5-6mm between the ply and wall, what kind of filler/mastic should I use to fill the gaps before the floor layer puts the vinyl down ?

thanks in anticipation Chris

Sponsored Links
you cant fill the edges as you should have around 2-3mm gap for expansion. If you have over this then its a bit to big for vinyl on top.

You would be better cutting a few inch's short and filling in with plywood and then skim coating the joins.

Make sure you use correct fixings also (150mm centres and 100mm around perimeter) with ring shanks nails etc.

Make sure you use correct fixings also (150mm centres and 100mm around perimeter) with ring shanks nails etc.

Thanks mattysupra for the advice my shank nail spacing is about what you recommend, but there are only 3-4 places of approx 5"-6" in length that are this gap width, I was thinking of filling them with tile adhesive or silicon sealant, could I not get away with this ?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Silicon will cause issues for the person installing the vinyl and tile adhesive might crack as it will be very thin.

Really you should use skim coat. Have a look at -stopgap 500.

Silicon will cause issues for the person installing the vinyl and tile adhesive might crack as it will be very thin.

Really you should use skim coat. Have a look at -stopgap 500.

Thanks mattysupra, all sorted and good now :D

regards Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back