Replacing solid woof floor with plywood + engineered in conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Please bear with me as I'm new to all this. I'm planning to lay engineered wood flooring throughout the house, including the conservatory. I have the flooring itself and 3mm underlay with a vapor barrier provided with it for the purpose of laying the floor floating on concrete (rest of the house).

Having taken up the old solid wood flooring in the conservatory, I've discovered that it has been installed directly on top of the joists, nailed down, with some sort of DPM stuck to it. There's insulation between the joists, see picture below.

As the engineered wood is quite thin (13mm), my plan is to glue + screw down a layer of 18mm plywood to the joists, then install the engineered wood floating on top.

1) Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
2) Do I need / should I use a DPM under the plywood? Under the engineered wood?
3) Can/should I use the underlay provided for floating installation on concrete (that includes a vapor barrier) between the plywood and engineered wood?
4) Do I need to treat the plywood, seal it etc before installing?
5) Will the plywood need expansion gaps, and if so, should I leave gaps between each sheet or lay them flush and only leave gaps around the edges?

Many thanks for your assistance,
Eric

IMG_20150627_172055-nopm-.jpg

Sponsored Links
generally sounds ok to me other than you can't use your vapour underlay, you need the non vapour type such as Duralay Duratex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back