35mm hinge cutter advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we've got a new door for our washing machine but now need to drill a new hinge hole.

Bit nervous as don't want to go through the door. I've seen on a few posts Screwfix do a hinge cutter https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-tct-hinge-cutter-35mm/4977v but I'm worried as it had no stopper.

I've also seen these and wondered if there any good? As it has a depth stop.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K6MGPVH/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_D2E461MS27YSBER8ADH4

I haven't got a pillar drill.

Which would people recommend?

Sponsored Links
I used forstner bits from Screwfix (cheapo) and just used a cordless drill.

Drill a very shallow pilot hole first, it will stop the bit wobbling about.

Practise on a guff bit of wood.
(y)

It is possible to get 35mm Forstner bits with a built-in depth stop (loads of them out there):

35mm Hinge Bit with Built-In Depth Stop.jpg

Sponsored Links
By rings, do you mean the depth stop? I use a set of different size ones to drill out for lock keeps - the thing with any depth stop is not to depend on it absolutely and just keep pushing - also always make a test drilling in a piece of scrap. The depth stop should be regarded as merely a visual indicator. So, just what are the reviews complaining about? There's a lot of people out there blaming the tool rather than their poor technique I find

If I'm doing the job at home I have a drill press set-up with a drilling table, fence and stops and the drill press has an adjustable depth stop on it. Out on site I don't have the luxury of a drill press, so I either use a cheap bit with a stop, or occasionally a plunge router with a special 35mm hinge routing bit (this is NOT a drill bit in a router). What I don't do is try drilling without some form of depth stop as that's a sure fire way to go through a door!

I just use with a cordless drill, it cuts slowly so difficult to go right thru.Just stop when shoulder of bit is flush with surface.Check hinge sits in without wobble.

OP - if you are really worried about it there are more complex jigs which offer better control:

Hinge Jig JL35-A1.png

but they do cost more. A lot more (£23 to £30 on Amazon for this type of jig - I have one somewhere, bought for a couple of kitchen reskins where I needed to drill 20+ doors at a time, and they do work, despite the relatively low quality bit)

You could always go the "professional" way and buy a CMT333:

CMT333 Professional Hinge Borer.png

which drills all three holes at once, but that wouldn't give you much change out of £300. Nice bit of kit, though only ever seen one in a workshop

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back