MDF door split after fitting hinges on the face

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1B7A75E7-3B9D-4066-859D-6C93F660B1C9.jpeg
DCDE083E-3E47-4CEA-8DB0-F430C666B688.jpeg
176A82ED-E908-4D74-8734-8D2F69B9A735.jpeg
I have built some MDF doors using strips of 18mm MDF in 2 layers, so total door thickness is 36mm, and 3mm hardboard panels (see pictures)

I have bought a bifold door ironmongery kit which comes with normal hinges and 1 inch 7G screws
https://www.screwfix.com/p/henderson-bifold-b20-4-4-door-folding-track-system-silver-2134mm/8195j

The instructions say to use hinges on the side of the door but I avoided this as I was sure that drilling on the edge of MDF would split it, so I decided to screw them on the face of the door

I have used this hinge drillIng kit to make pilot holes
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-drill-bit-set-3-pieces/6163V?tc=RT4&ds_kid=92700048793290430&ds_rl=1244066&gclid=CjwKCAjw2a32BRBXEiwAUcugiHYyoMrjp4TxNAyAi3bmPgXOaeHl49w5Trc8ih4DbzctiGpWNe8gwxoCi04QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds using the biggest drill

However, after drilling all the hinges I’ve realised that the MDF had split even before I tried to hang the doors
How is this possible and how can I fix it?

I suspect as the screw was slightly longer than the hole made by the drill, it might have pushed the MDF apart, so I was thinking about drilling a longer pilot hole and using longer screws (30mm) (making sure the hole is deeper than the length of the screw)

Sponsored Links
Drill out the holes carefully to 8mm using a brad point twist drill ( i.e. a dowel drill, not a metalwork twist drill). Glue-in 8mm hardwood dowels with D3 PVA. Leave to set 24 hours minimum. Flush off the dowels (flush cut saw or sharp chisel or block plane). Repilot with the correct size drill bit, holes drilled into the dowels. Reattach the hinges with screws taking csre not to overtighten. This is a well known workaround/fix for dealing with spitting in chipboard and MDF

MDF is awful for splitting if not piloted correctly (and the pilot holes thoroughly cleaned out). I'm sure that at least part of the reason they developed 35mm cup hinges for kitchen cabinets, etc is that chipboard and MDF are equally bad in that respect - neither hold screws well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back