mdf doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

so, I've used kitchen cabinets in my garage. I don't really want to pay £30 a door to cover them though.

all in would cost £360 for the doors I need - or - £60 to have them cut to size from MDF and then paint them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LIKERAINY-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I was going to use these hinges but my concern is will MDF be ok as a door? I'm concerned that it'll break up around the hinge and the screws will inevitably fail pulling out a lump of MDF with it.

Or am I being over cautious - yes i'll be using the doors of course but not 100 times a day or anything daft.

Any suggestions? I mean most cabinet doors are similar to conti board but I assume the veneer helps hold it all together - something I'm not going to have.

Sponsored Links
Those hinges are fine but have no adjustment so require precise fixing , ordinary kitchen hinges are ideal in mdf.(18mm).

ah ok, see I was thinking that your normal cup hinge would be a bad idea as you only have the two small screws holding them in....well saying that, I assume because they're cut in, some of the force is applied to the wall of the hole rather than the screw.

I would indeed be using 18mm mdf

Some kitchen doors are currently made from mdf, some kitchen hinges just clamp in the recess hole and don’t require screws.

Sponsored Links
Most kitchen doors are MDF with only public housing contract doors being made from MFC or melamine faced chipboard (not Contiboard which is really cheap sh*t). As Foxhole says, go with a cup hinge and buy a 35mm hinge boring bit to fit them.

Stick with the cup hole hinges. They will be far more forgiving when it comes to adjusting the doors.

Drill pilot holes for the screws in the doors though. Many screws claim to be self drilling but your screws will only be 15mm long and those things won't self drill securely in 18mm MDF. Assuming that you are using 3.5mm screws, pre-drill with 2.0mm, if 4mm screws use a 2.5mm bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back