Using surface mounted hinges on MDF?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been putting off fitting some 'normal' self closing Blum-type hinges on my home-built MDF cabinet & inlay doors for fear of ruining them with a forstner bit.

Does anyone know if it would be adviseable to use surface mounted hinges (which I have only just discovered) or will the doors drop off?

Sponsored Links
as long as they are to a face then no probs

if its to the end you need 18mm to accomodate the hinge

what size thickness are the doors!!!

as long as they are to a face then no probs

if its to the end you need 18mm to accomodate the hinge

what size thickness are the doors!!!

tsk tsk Ending a question with an exclamation mark.
D- Must try harder Mr All.

all this time i thought it was the question mark :oops: :oops: ??
first time i have noticed it ;)

Sponsored Links
I've been putting off fitting some 'normal' self closing Blum-type hinges on my home-built MDF cabinet & inlay doors for fear of ruining them with a forstner bit.

Does anyone know if it would be adviseable to use surface mounted hinges (which I have only just discovered) or will the doors drop off?

You need a hinge cutting bit [cantilever], should have no problem with that.

ok my mistake thought you ment these flush mounted
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/65331...Pack-of-20;jsessionid=IJPXNPN4GDGCWCSTHZOSFFQ

so forget the edge mounting lol

have faith if your bothered make up 2 jigs [1 door and 1 frame] draw a line at the centre 3x4" bit off mdf with a 12x12mm batton to clip over the edge
position the hinge over the centre line the correct distance from the front edge [keeping in mind your batton overlap]
mark all the holes
pilot with a 2mm drill
set a depth stop jig plus 9mm depth

all you need to do now is draw a line where the centre off the hinge needs to be to line up with the jig and drill the 2mmx9mm holes assuming no 6 or no7 screws

Hmm. As I will have more of these to do later in year, I may try both & see which is quicker!

Thanks all!

if they close up to a frame /door stop you can usualy stop any warping with catches placed at any high point as long as the deviation is only 2 or 3 mm

you can get a drill stand with a depth stop quite cheap. i got one from aldi that does the job.

hi this may not be any help at all but i thought i should say anyway, the surface mounted hinges you showed us all are really strong and wont move at all, at work we put them 50 ml from the top and bottom of any door and 3 ml back from the edge of the door, we use them to hold doors back in luxury campervans on shelves, wardrobes and full sized doors and they stay shut well as they do have a bit of a "snap" to them
and you only need four screws in each hinge, easy to install and great result, hope this helps somehow :)

tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back